Sunday, September 17, 2006

"Never apologize mister …

… it's a sign of weakness". I wonder if the Pope ever saw She Wore a Yellow Ribbon?

If you read the Pope's 'apology' for his remarks on Islam last week you'll see nothing along the lines of "I'm sorry for saying …"
… At this time, I wish also to add that I am deeply sorry for the reactions in some countries to a few passages of my address at the University of Regensburg, which were considered offensive to the sensibility of Muslims. These in fact were a quotation from a medieval text, which do not in any way express my personal thought.
He's sorry "for the reactions", not for what he said.

What's going on here? Surely the Pope knew those words would stir up a hornet's nest even if they don't represent his "personal thought" on Islam. I doubt he's in the least bit surprised. So, why did he do it?

I'm not a dedicated Pope watcher. I prick up my ears when I hear something interesting, but for the most part I don't check in with him on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to see what he's been saying. However, from the moment he chose the name Benedict, it's been obvious that Pope Benedict perceives his greatest challenge to be the (re)Christianization of Europe.

I'll be honest and say that I'm not sure I follow everything in the speech that caused all the controversy, but the Pope is basically saying that there's more to understanding than what can be measured. "Theology rightly belongs in the university and within the wide-ranging dialogue of sciences."

Okay, fine. The Pope's against rigid secularization. But, that reference to Islam? Either the Pope's a fool and/or totally switched off to what's happening in Europe today or he's reading the tea leaves and sees that there may be an opening for the Church in standing up to Islam. No, not a new Crusade, but an argument. The Pope as much as said that Islam is incapable of co-existing with the rational whereas Christianity requires it. When you see people rampaging, burning churches, murdering in response to what the Pope said you can almost hear him say, "quod erat demonstrandum".

Benedict XVI has decided that the Church is not going down without a fight.