Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Passport hassles

I fully understand all the security requirements surrounding passport applications, but that doesn't make it any less aggravating when the time comes to renew your passport. I really miss the easy-going embassy process I encountered when I last renewed my passport. I was brought into the embassy, given a cup of coffee and had a nice pleasant chat with a man across a desk. He took my money and my paperwork and twenty minutes later I had a new passport. Very civil.

However, today all the dealings are through thick security glass. There is zero effort made to make you feel comfortable, and after handing over the paperwork and money I won't get my new passport for 2-3 weeks. I could do it all by mail, but I have to get a new passport for my daughter too, so that makes little sense.

The funny thing is, the security arrangements that are the greatest hassle are for children's passports.

In order to get my ten-year-old daughter a new passport (this will be her third) I have to go into the passport office with my daughter and my wife! I don't know why my daughter has to appear, but apparently she does. My wife has to appear because she has to give her consent to my daughter getting another passport. You'd think that having done this twice before would count for something.

I know, I know, I know. This is to try and prevent children being abducted and whisked out of the country without one of the parents knowing. I accept all that. It's still an incredible hassle. My daughter has to take time off school and my wife and I time from our work. The embassy doesn't help either as the only times you can come in for passports are between 8:30 & 11:30 four days a week. No afternoon appointments.