Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Counterpunch review

I found this review of Devils & Dust interesting. It's written by Harry Browne for Counterpunch.

I have a sneaking regard for Browne simply because he's a Met fan, but his politics are a long way removed from my own. So, I was a little surprised to find Browne criticizing Bruce Springsteen for endorsing John Kerry.
. . . for many of us on the left it was more distressing to see Springsteen, whose 9/11-inspired The Rising (2002) was astonishingly nuanced as well as frankly commercial, turn himself into a huckster for a mainstream pol.
I guess Springsteen should have endorsed Ralph Nader.

I know this is kind of a cheap shot, but I was also somewhat surprised to see that Counterpunch is an affiliate partner of Amazon.com. I know the left has to eat too, but still it surprises me when I find them partnering with corporate bloodsuckers like Amazon. After all, "nothing makes them happier" than when readers write in to tell them how "useful they've found our newsletter in their battles against the war machine, big business and the rapers of nature". Surely, Amazon.com would be included in "bug business".

Of course, I, as a committed capitalist, have no qualms about imbibing at Amazon's font.