Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Not all that shocking, really

I can't stop thinking about Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi and the other stars of baseball who have so discredited the game. What's bothering me is that I should have realized this has been going on for a long time.

When I was in high school I knew there were kids on the football team (and others who just wanted the body-builder look) who took steroids. I couldn't have provided any specific names, but I know it was part of the lunch-room conversation in the school 24 years ago.

At the time I can remember being unsure of any real benefits from taking drugs so I just dismissed it. But, looking back on it there were a lot of guys who were convinced that these things made you stronger (and I'm sure they were right).

So, am I shocked by baseball's revelations? No, I'm really not. What shocks me is that I was willing to go along with the charade when even a half-hearted attempt at real thought would have convinced me that the big numbers in the 90s were, essentially, thanks to Dr. Frankenstein's lab.

If 16 & 17 year-old boys were willing to pop some pills in order to be better at football, increase their popularity and, maybe, get a girl, what about when the potential windfall is millions of dollars, national, public adulation and groupies in every city? The motivation was there, the opportunity was everywhere and there was ZERO risk because Major League Baseball had no drugs policy.

DUH!! The only thing shocking would have been if baseball players weren't taking steroids.