Friday, December 17, 2004

Just browsing

This caught my eye. Richard (who is young and in California) reports that a quarter of his hits come from Firefox users. I figured that people reading his blog would be much more likely to switch to something new like Firefox than would those who read mine. So I checked.

MS Internet Explorer still accounts for 55% of all browers coming to this site. Not as high as I had expected, but clearly the leader. Firefox accounts for 20% (Netscape 11%). I cannot believe the Firefox number is that high - more than double what I expected. Not really that different than Richard found with his site.

Maybe people reading blogs are more disposed to trying new software than other web users?

The Newshound audience is older than the average web site audience, so I decided to check the Newshound stats too.

MSIE accounts for 89% of all browsers loading up the Newshound. That's the kind of number I'd have expected. What's amazing (and somewhat worrying) is that 11.4% of those are using versions of IE that Microsoft no longer supports and which have serious security flaws.

Only 6% of Newshound users are using Firefox. Still, that's more than I would have anticipated and more than Netscape and Opera combined. {I'm surprised at how small Netscape's share is.}

Firefox is off to a flying start.