Thursday, January 15, 2004

Front page news?

The Irish Times claims to be the paper of record on Irish affairs. Well, this front page story seems more like a tabloid feature than a real front page serious news story.

I don't care about O'Brien's politics or whatever. I'm dubious about his claim that he thought all his journalism writings qualified for the "artists' tax exemption". He's a former minister, a shrewd man and should have known better.

Still, there's something about seeing this on the front page that doesn't feel right. This is definitely news, I'm just not sure it belongs on the front page. My first instinct this morning when I saw the front page was that this was more about point-scoring on a political rival rather than a news-worthiness judgment.

I wish I could recall if other prominent figures who have had to settle back taxes were front page news.