Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Anti-American capitalist

David Horgan is not your typical anti-American. He's a director of an oil company. I remember hearing him (I think it was him or it was a colleague from the same company) on the radio either during or just before the war in Iraq and he was nearly incoherent as he rambled on about what the Americans were going to do in Iraq.

I was embarrassed listening to him. I wanted Pat Kenny (I think he did the interview) to cut him short, but he didn't. From what I was hearing, it seemed to me that this man was petrified that his contracts with Saddam's government would be void when a new order took hold. Maybe his business was on the line. I don't know, but I remember thinking to myself "when you make a deal with the devil . . . ". And, Saddam was the devil. There's no getting around that. And, this man's company had a deal with his government.

So what if the UN sanctioned oil deals with Iraq. Doesn't mean you have to step up and provide Saddam and his stooges with the legitimacy that they don't deserve. No need to facilitate the continued enslavement of the Iraqi people. My sympathy was minimal.

Well, he's still there and still complainging about the Americans. He doesn't want to deal with them. He wears his Ireland jersey to distinguish himself from the Americans.

Horgan complains about the "crazy" damage done by the military. Imagine bombing a telephone exchange? What possible military use could that have? Well, maybe, just maybe now, to enable government and military commanders in Baghdad to coordinate their actions with those commanders in the field? It's just a guess, now.