Thursday, April 23, 2009

Did Grobbelaar throw the 'game'

Last night - for reasons that even I can't explain - I found myself watching the last few minutes of Hell's Kitchen. I listened to former Liverpool goalie Bruce Grobbelaar talking about how he wanted to be 'fired' because he wanted to get back to his wife. It sounded great, especially to the women who he was leaving behind as contestants. They were very emotional at hearing his words.

Then a minute or two later I heard him being interviewed and the woman from the BBC innocently dropped in that Gobbelaar was "the bookies' favorite." I thought to myself, "Hmm. Wasn't Grobbelaar once in a bit of hot water over accusations that he had "fixed" matches back in the early 90s? Is it possible that Bruce had a wager on someone other than himself to win Hell's Kitchen? Is it possible he 'fixed the match'?"

I doubt he did, but I was laughing at the thought of it. He actually came across as a really nice guy.