Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Is WiFi dangerous?

According to the Independent on Sunday the chairman of the Health Protection Agency in Britain "wants pupils to be monitored for ill effects from the networks". This is a reaction to the increasing use of wirless networks in schools.

Well, what about homes? I have a WiFi network in my house. That persistent, nagging question comes to the fore, "Am I hurting my children?" With my laptop I can see that I'm not the only one in the neighborhood. I remember when I was staying at my brother's place in Manhattan my laptop's WiFi card found more than 20 networks. What about children in that neighborhood?

I presume this is the same discussion as the mobile phone mast issue - an issue I never took too seriously. I don't dismiss the possibility that WiFi networks are not entirely safe, but I'm not panicking either. After reading that article in the Independent on Sunday I clicked around. I found out that one Canadian university banned WiFi due to health concerns. Still, I'm put at ease by these sorts of comments.
Peter Bennett, deputy city surveyor, told silicon.com the City had evaluated the risks but did not believe them to be significant. "The health issue and the potential risks were considered. No one can be sanguine when creating wireless networks but we were satisfied there is far less risk in the network we are creating than in many existing radio networks operating in the City."