Thursday, December 01, 2005

Paypal

Loads of people rave about eBay and, despite losing my few bucks, I can understand why. Almost anything you could imagine wanting is available there. Yet, it's Paypal that really amazes me. Anyone can now transfer money electronically to anyone else, regardless of where they live. Paypal even allows for different currencies. It allows you to link up with your bank so that you can transfer money back and forth between your Paypal and bank account.

When I was in college I worked as a bank teller during summer and holiday breaks. The bank made quite a bit of money selling money orders to people who had to send money across the country or bank drafts for those who had to send the money abroad. The inconvenience and cost of that to the customer was never a concern to the bank. Today all of that and more, much more, can be accomplished from a PC in the house, library, dorm room or whatever at zero cost.

Viva La Revolucion!