Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Conservative punks

When I was in college I was a fan of punk music. I wouldn't have ever described myself as a 'punk', but I listened to a lot of punk music (we're not talking the hardcore stuff here). Lest you get the wrong idea, I knew much less about punk music or music generally than I knew about baseball (or sports generally) or politics.

Still, I liked punk music. Politically I was generally a world away from my favorite punk bands. I was once called the squarest Clash fan on the planet by a friend who couldn't believe I owned all the Clash's albums and was a Reaganite. I even bought The Clash's Sandinista.

Today's Guardian has an article about the "pro-Bush" punks. I had assumed that punk music was now in the "reunion tour" phase of existence, but it seems new punk bands are still coming on the scene. Not only are new punk bands out there, but there are young punks willing to be identified as supporting the Republican Party.

{I hadn't realized that Johnny Ramone was a Reaganite. If only his views on baseball were as agreeable.}