Tuesday, October 07, 2003

McAleese & China

I don't know what the protocol is for visits to China, but surely this bit of forelock-tugging was beyond the call of duty, "We see China as strategically and morally an extraordinary force for good in the world." This is from Mary McAleese's "exclusive interview" with Xinhua News Agency, the state news agency of China.

I'm not sure the people of Tibet, Taiwan, or the members of Falun Gong would agree with China being described as "morally an extraordinary force for good". I'm not sure the people of Hong Kong would agree. In fact, we don't even know if any of their own citizens would agree as they live under a repressive regime. Does this enhance their capacity to act as a "force for good"?

I don't accept that China is "strategically" a force for good, but I understand necessity of some "white lies" if you're looking for some economic sweeties. But, "morally"? That's a step too far.