Saturday, April 11, 2009

MLB.com - awful

MLB.com. Whoever runs that has to be among the dumbest people in business anywhere.

For reasons that I can't fathom, they decided that we needed an "upgrade" to the audio player that has worked just great the past 4 years (or more - can't remember). I don't know what we needed upgraded because basically all us Gameday Audio subscribers wanted was what we had. We could listen to the games when they were live or we could listen to the games from the "archive", which meant any game that was over for at least 45 minutes.

That is how I listen. I tune in first thing in the morning to hear the previous night's Met game. Until this season.

Now we have an "upgraded player" that works - sometimes - that's missing the few features that were useful (like pause if you have to go to the bathroom & fast forward to skip the ads) and has somehow delayed the archiving of the games so that what used to take 45 minutes now takes more than 8 hours.

I used to believe that MLB.com had one of the most successful online subscription businesses going, but this is really stupid. I had considered forking out a lot extra for online t.v., but the way they've treated their customers this year has turned me off the idea. In fact, since I can't listen to the games in the morning as I used to I'm not sure I'll bother with the audio subscription.