Monday, February 09, 2009

Snow courtesy

And, another thing about last week's snow. I got the bus from the airport to just outside my neighborhood. I only had to negotiate the sidewalk the length of my neighborhood, which turned out to be a good thing.

Despite the fact that the snow had finished fairly early on Thursday evening, no one in my neighborhood had cleaned the sidewalk in front of his house. Not one house. There were a few driveways that had been shoveled clean, but even those people didn't see fit to shovel the sidewalk.

I can't say I was annoyed or surprised, but it was slow going over the snow and ice with my bags. However, along the way I passed out an elderly woman who was making very slow, fearful progress on foot. If every household had bothered to spend 10 minutes (at most) shoveling in front their house that old woman would not have had to walk as if in a minefield.