Wednesday, June 11, 2008

No! Yes! No!

I've thought a lot about the Lisbon Treaty. Initially I was all set for a 'No'. Then I started to consider the implications for Europe and began to lean towards 'Yes'. It was only in the last 24 hours that the truth that this is, essentially, the EU Constitution and that was already rejected by the French & Dutch that I've firmed up in the 'No' camp.

I don't feel comfortable transferring sovereignty to an entity that thinks so little of democracy that they dismiss the voters' decision and press on with their plans none-the-less. I'm going to vote 'No', but if the treaty was subjected to a referendum in (at least) Holland and France (other nations were promised referenda too) I would probably have voted 'Yes'.

So, I'm doing what we've been told we shouldn't do by so, so many. I'm voting on grounds that are not actually part of the treaty. I'm voting 'No' simply because the Eurocrats and Europhiles who govern us simply do not care what the voters think.