Friday, May 16, 2008

I take it back

A couple of weeks back I may have implied that the government was wastefully adding to my recycling pile with its Preparing For Major Emergencies booklet (80 pages). I want to make a full retraction. In the right circumstances, with the right gathering of people around you can get a lot of fun out of this little gem. I recommend reading it aloud and asking the one question that the booklet itself repeatedly poses: What should I do in the event of a ...? (Fill in a disaster/emergency covered in the book.)

Basically the answer is call 999, although if it's a nuclear accident (presumably in Britain) you don't even have to do that. Just stay in, kick back, relax and put the t.v. on. And now that I've absorbed those sage bits of advice the booklet is in the recycling pile.