Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Slightly less grumpy today

Three reasons for this and none of them have to do with the Mets. I'm still mad as hell about them and at them.

First reason I feel a little better is that I read a few pages from Bill Bryson's book on his youth in Iowa in the 50s & 60s. I was reading a few pages on his brainy friend Willoughby and Willoughby's equally brainy brothers and the stupid games that they used to play. One day Willoughby made a cannon and using his own home-made gun powder took out a window in a house down the street. A few paragraphs on and I'm reading about how the brothers used to go into the basement, turn off the lights and throw lighted matches at one another. I was laughing so hard I was crying. It was easy to recognize life with my brothers in those few pages.

Then someone sent me this video on Mahmoud Ahmadinejad from Saturday Night Live. (Warning - it's not G Rated, although in today's climate maybe it would be.) It just made me laugh and forget about those pretenders in Queens.

Then there was this article by a guy named Bartle Bull. I don't know who Bartle Bull is, but he is so upbeat about what's going on in Iraq that I decided to not even think critically about his article for a while. Just accept what he's saying like a drug. When it wears off, I'll consider his thesis - that the mission is basically accomplished and the political violence is basically pointless/over - but until then I'm just going to accept this high (to forget, you know what).