Monday, May 21, 2007

Irish Independent's new site

The Irish Independent has a new web site. I think it's an improvement over the previous look that was designed for the Independent as part of their Unison.ie offering. What's really interesting is that they've made it so all the old links still work. I've never seen that before in all my years of saving newspaper links for the Newshound.

For example, the Times (London) recently revamped its web site and all the links from before 2007 were instantly rendered defunct. I can't think of a single newspaper web site that has made the effort to ensure that all the old links still work with a new publishing system, format, etc.

So, I tip my hat to the Irish Independent for not (a) getting rid of the annoying registration system and (b) showing some respect to all the old links in the Newshound archive and on blogs throughout the universe. (And, yes, I'm sure this helps them internally too, but so what?)