Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Chavsville

In the middle of the last of the family's three short breaks this summer. First Edinburgh, then Wallonia now, well, I'm not really sure what this region should be called, but we're seeing the bit of England that is just east and just north of Stansted Airport.

Until yesterday, I'd heard the word "chav" a few times, but never really understood it. After walking around Colchester for a couple of hours I think my daughter has helped me to identify a "chav" on sight. She decided to elbow me every time she spotted a first rate specimen of the species. Although our time in Cambridge yielded virtually no elbows, two and a half hours in Colchester and my rib cage is bruised.

More later on what we saw/did, but I just thought I share that little bit on my great cultural awakening yesterday.