Monday, August 02, 2004

Reading

I don't read enough books. Too much time spent (wasted?) reading newspapers (both on-line and in print). But, over the past couple of weeks I've read two books, which is some form of modern record for me.

One of them was an historical novel, Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Connor. As I finished the book I realized that I had enjoyed that one a lot more than I had expected. A novel about the famine years written by Sinead O'Connor's brother didn't sound like it would be great entertainment, but it was very enjoyable.

In fact, I think I enjoyed this book more than True History of the Kelly Gang (pretty good) and definitely more than Cold Mountain (dull and over-rated), both of which I've read recently (past 3 years or so).

I'll talk about the other book I read later. It's a very important book, particularly if you understand that sports is the essence of life.