Saturday, March 06, 2004

Taliban "summer camp"

From today's Guardian:
The food in the camp was delicious, the teaching was excellent, and his warders were kind. "Americans are good people, they were always friendly, I don't have anything against them," he said. "If my father didn't need me, I would want to live in America."
That quote comes from one of the boys who has recently returned to Afghanistan from Guantanamo Bay.

Here's his comrade:
Americans are great people, better than anyone else," he said, when found at his elder brother's tiny fruit and nut shop in a muddy backstreet of Kabul. "Americans are polite and friendly when you speak to them. They are not rude like Afghans. If I could be anywhere, I would be in America. I would like to be a doctor, an engineer or an American soldier.
They got some schooling, did some snorkeling, played some basketball, soccer, volleyball. How many kids living in New York (or any big US city) would like to have such a camp to go to?