Thursday, December 11, 2003

Iraqi reconstruction contracts

I find it hard to disagree with this Newsday editorial on the decision to exclude French, German or Russian companies from Iraq reconstruction contracts. They knew this was coming.

I'm assuming that Irish companies can join the bidding. I just hope no contracts go to Petrel Resources. Their MD, David Horgan, was all over the media before and during the war denouncing the US in no uncertain terms. I'd love to think that someone in Ballsbridge has marked his card and filed that with the Pentagon.

I suspect this is the reason that Mr. Horgan was so desperate to see Saddam's regime remain in power.

I love this headline on the same topic because it sums up all that I think about the EU - it's a club of France & Germany and others can join if they want. Italy, Spain, Poland, the UK, Ireland (again, presumably) and many other EU members will not "miss out" on the chance to bid on Iraqi reconstruction contracts.